People get excited about spring cleaning for a reason. It feels good to get rid of clutter and release things that are no longer useful to us. Every single thing that you own requires some small amount of your attention whether you use it or not. Minimizing your belongings can bring more freedom to your life and reduce stress. But those are not the only benefits. Let’s take a look at 10 ways that downsizing can be beneficial for older adults.
- It makes moving easier. Whether you’re considering moving to a senior living facility or simply downsizing your home, letting go of unneeded possessions means less stuff to pack and move.
- Clearing out the clutter will help make room for assistive devices or home modifications to make your life easier. Clearing out extra furniture and unused items can make room for an accessible bathroom installation or handrails to be installed to assist you with mobility. You’ll also be able to maneuver mobility devices like canes or walkers more safely and easily without a lot of junk in your way.
- Downsizing could also make room for a family member or caregiver to move in and live on-site to assist you 24/7 if you happen to need round-the-clock care.
- When you donate your unused items to charity it benefits people in your community who are in need. You’ll feel better knowing the items are being put to good use rather than collecting dust in your garage or attic.
- Downsizing makes cleaning easier. With fewer things to clean and take care of, house cleaning is a breeze. Letting go of things you no longer love and use will allow you to take better care of the things you do cherish.
- If you’re downsizing a house full of high-quality items you can use this as an opportunity to make some extra money. Enlist the help of some friends and family to help organize a weekend sale on the lawn to turn your discarded items into cash.
- For those with mobility issues, clearing out clutter makes your home safer. Moving out extra furniture can help open up walkways and make navigating your home easier.
- When things accumulate over the years you don’t realize just how much space they actually take up. Clearing things out and leaving just the essentials will make your home not only look better but also feel bigger and more modern and minimalistic.
- With a better arrangement inside your home, you may find it easier to entertain friends and family. Minimalist open spaces are perfect for hosting gatherings inside your home. Having more room for company translates into a better and more active social life.
- It can be difficult to let go of things that you’ve owned for many years, especially if they have any sentimental value attached to them. But if they are no longer useful to you, you will feel better after you release them so that someone else can have the chance to enjoy them.
It’s easy to see that a clean and uncluttered home is good for your mental and physical well-being. If you are downsizing in preparation for moving to a senior living facility contact the senior care experts at Ashbridge Manor Senior Living and we can help make your transition an easy one. We pride ourselves on creating an environment that enables seniors to lead a socially active lifestyle to improve their health and wellbeing. You can find us at 971 E. Lancaster Avenue in Downingtown, PA, call 610.269.8800, or contact us online for more information. Ask us about our move-in special!